Thursday, September 21, 2006

burn(ed) out

i just had lunch with a guy I met through some classes at Fuller. He just quit his job as youth minister of a church in the area, which is a relative term around LA meaning somewhere within a 30 minute drive. Anyway, he was running a ministry that was reaching a lot of kids in a way that seems pretty darn healthy, but the church was unable to handle it. So, they started to run the rumor mill, and eventually he just couldn't handle it. It's sad.

Why is it that we, as Christians, often have such a hard time dealing with issues face to face. What are we afraid of? Do we really believe that loving in the sake of Christ means that we never approach someone in a confrontational manner (see Luke 19:45,46)? What happened to tough love? Are we afraid to give grace ... or are we afraid that if we really start confronting people they might make us confront ourselves? (I think it's the latter.)

2 comments:

KristaCrotty said...

I am sick of this stuff - sick of it! I cry out for real community - how do we teach it? Do we have to risk being "burn(ed)" in order to receive it?

I am thankful for those who have chosen to show grace, to have tough-love in my life :)

Geoff said...

My dad was treated the same way as head pastor. It was sickening to go through as a son. It hurts quite a bit. I understand. Cheers to confrontational love.